Introduction

Welcome to my little corner of the internet. I am currently enrolled at Ole Miss as an International Studies major in the Croft School. Over the coming year I will be fullfilling my duties as international man of mystery by travelling across South America. This blog is an opportunity for you to follow my stories and live vicariously through them. Get in on the ground floor, this thing is going to be big.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Flight

I'm just writing very quickly here to let everyone know that I got in safely. I also wanted to take a moment to give a shout out to Chileans, because they know how to travel in style.

The flight from Miami to Santiago, with the exception of my first flight, has always been incredibly easy. These guys don't play around. In contrast to my cross-Atlantic flights, which usually leave me contemplating my life, I snuggled up in my window seat and passed an easy 9 hours.

So take note American Airlines, British Airways, or the other highwaymen that ferry passengers to far away lands under conditions that rival "The Middle Passage". Here are a few things I would like to see incorporated into other airlines:

1)Personal Televisions: This is HUGE. Let's face it, it's not hard to spend hours on end in front of the T.V. Now give me my own little T.V. in my seat, complete with over 150 movies and television programs? SIGN ME UP. The fact that I was able to knock out an episode of Two and a Half Men(the most popular comedy in Latin America. For good reason may I add, Charlie Sheen is a genius, but I digress..), The Office, Garden State, and part of Terminators made me a care a whole lot less about the funny smelling elderly woman that kept passing out next to me.

2)Attractive Staff: This is simple, so why aren't we doing it? Flight Attendants were supposed to be good looking in the old days, I've seen Blow, and thankfully this tradition still stands strong in Chilean culture. I would peg LAN airlines at about a 75% attractive rate, which is hard to beat. While maybe not worth flying LAN on it's own, it's a damn good tie breaker.

3)Food: Not only did I get a surprisingly edible hot dinner, I also got a hot breakfast! I don't know about you, but I want to start my day with an omelette, and I want that omelette to have a little bit of ham in it. Apparently I'm not alone in this, and it's been recognized by the fine folks in Chile. Would you like a little free wine with your dinner? I'm telling you that these people are absurd. Free? I don't know whether to hug you or to show you how much money you could make by marking these things up to exorbitant prices. Then, when you finish dinner guess what happens? Another glass of wine?!? Free? This one too? Yes. Well then yes please.

4)Blankets: You know airline blankets? The little, hand towel sized maroon things? I don't know what to do with that, do I use it to blow my nose or to cover up? Look, I'm a tall drink of water and expect a little more from my sleep gear. Luckily, LAN, keeps it real for me. Nevermind the fact the average Chilean could curl up and go to sleep in my pocket. Chileans appreciate the plight of the big man and provide airline blankets that rival the "Snuggie", which has arguably the highest snuggle quotients known to man(it's even got sleeves! But I digress..), which makes sleep all the easier when your knees are pressed against your chest.

Initial thoughts upon arrival in Montevideo: I'm glad to be back. I knew I was going to be happy to see my family again, and just to be back down, but it feels way homier than I expected-which is a good thing. The weather is beautiful and Laura quickly got me caught up on all the going-ons of the summer. I'm off for now, I'll be trying to catch a few rays down at the beach,

RJ

4 comments:

Michael Malenfant said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michael Malenfant said...

boludo, no podia dejar de reir mientras leyendo lo que escribiste sobre LAN .. los vuelos de Continental son mejor de los de American Airlines, pero bajones igual.

And seriously, 150 options? I got 3 episodes of House and some terrible movie with Nick Cage (need I say more?)

ceililove said...

glad you arrived safely, hon.

Erejota said...

I'm glad you couldn't stop laughing Mike, but let's have a little bit of consideration for my many english language readers (this blog is, afterall, in English), and keep our comments a little more user-friendly.

Moving on, yes, 150 options, everything(and anything even) from NYPD Blue, to M.A.S.H. to Everybody Loves Raymond, to Casablanca, to Die Hard, to whatever.

Same service as when I flew back to the U.S.(of course I watched The Departed, Ocean's Eleven and 30 Rock)