17 years ago
Introduction
Welcome to my little corner of the internet. I am currently enrolled at Ole Miss as an International Studies major in the Croft School. Over the coming year I will be fullfilling my duties as international man of mystery by travelling across South America. This blog is an opportunity for you to follow my stories and live vicariously through them. Get in on the ground floor, this thing is going to be big.
Monday, March 2, 2009
I'm Baack
Just when I thought I was out, I'm pulled back in. I already feel myself being sucked back into the world of blogging, and to another life on another continent. A crazy, blog-worthy, vacation has come to an end; and as I sit in Miami International Airport typing this I find myself excited to arrive back in my 2nd(or 3rd...or 4th?) home: Montevideo.
I am enjoying my last few moments of America the best I can, having just finished a bacon blue cheese cheeseburger. There are few better parting meals for a red-blooded American male as far as I'm concerned. That said, I can't wait to get out. The crucible that is being trapped for hours on end between the technicolored, beatles muzak pumping walls that comprise Miami Int'l is something that defies words and must be experienced to be understood.
As I sit here typing, I can't help but think about how different, and yet the same, everything feels.
The last time I passed through I was homebound; leaving Uruguay, my brain was running in Spanish. Wreathes were hanging from every available surface in a feeble attempt to rebuke the palm trees and Miami beach vibe that is deadly towards cultivating Christmas cheer.
The first time I was here seems even more foreign. I find it impossible to believe that it was only July-almost August. The confidence that I now hold in myself as an individual, traveller, and spanish speaker has changed my entire perception of the world and my place in it. It seems years ago that I was waiting nervously in the international terminal, nervous about my new family, finding soccer, my spanish.
I now know exactly what to expect upon arrival in Montevideo, a fact that I find comforting and relieving if not slightly boring. The prospect of hiking through Torres del Paine and the thoughts of family and friends fresh on my mind keep my wanderlust satiated for the moment.
Only 8 hours removed from home I don't have much to write about yet, but keep your eyes peeled. More awaits on the horizon. I expect a trip to the beach soon after arriving in South America, the soccer team is entrenched in pre-season, and orientation is 36 hours away. Flight leaves in 5 minutes and I can't wait to climb aboard that massive plane sitting outside our window...chances for my own personal T.V. are high,
Hasta la vista...I'll BE BACK.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment