Introduction

Welcome to my little corner of the internet. I am currently enrolled at Ole Miss as an International Studies major in the Croft School. Over the coming year I will be fullfilling my duties as international man of mystery by travelling across South America. This blog is an opportunity for you to follow my stories and live vicariously through them. Get in on the ground floor, this thing is going to be big.

Monday, July 21, 2008

T-Minus 7

7 days. One week. 168 hours until I leave apple pie, jazz music, and baseball(thank god) far behind me and set foot on South American soil for the first time.

Miguel is in Argentina already so hopefully the continent can handle two Malenfants. My preparations begin today, packing and what not. In an effort to ease into this process I have been in correspondence with my future house mother, Laura Zabala Carzolio. I received a very profound message yesterday. After discussing the logistics of bringing my guitar down to South America and trying to decide if it was worth packing Laura writes back, ...""Guitarra, si es espaƱola, tenemos en casa."

Now if you didn't take 8th grade Spanish, this is essentially saying, if it's a classical guitar we have one here.


My first response was, "No it's not a classical guitar. Erejota does not play classical guitar. I also do not sit in Barnes and Noble and write poetry. I'm American, we ROCK baby." However, fearful that something would be lost in this translation, I settled for expressing my gratitude. I am honestly intrigued by this revelation though. Classical guitar is pretty badass and it may offer an avenue to parlay my mediocre musical ability into another asset.

I expect to be something of an anomale over there, somehow I don't think a classical guitar playing soccer badass with a mullet fits in too well with the American stereotype, so that should be fun. That said, I will do my best to be loud and offensive. This one's for you Toby.



Back on track here...so hopefully I will be like this guy in a year:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_UwyfsJSQg
actually, he looks pretty damn creepy. Let's go with this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU68qT4T1bE


That's all for now, next time you hear from me I will be in South America.



No comments: