Introduction

Welcome to my little corner of the internet. I am currently enrolled at Ole Miss as an International Studies major in the Croft School. Over the coming year I will be fullfilling my duties as international man of mystery by travelling across South America. This blog is an opportunity for you to follow my stories and live vicariously through them. Get in on the ground floor, this thing is going to be big.

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Another Night Out

Yesterday, like every Saturday, we had a soccer game(2-2 tie). Also-yesterday, like every Saturday, we went out after the game. Electing to go out with the other exchange students instead of the soccer team this weekendI soon found myself in an apartment celebrating a birthday. It's worth noting that this was the...eighth or ninth exchange student birthday in my 7 weeks in Uruguay. There are only about 30 or 35 of us. I feel like I, with a June birthday, was excepted into the program as part of some sort of bizzare affirmative action program.



We head out to Ciudad Vieja in a taxi, which is a long ride (relatively speaking). it usually costs about 100 pesos(5 bucks). When I look at the meter and see it's at about 120 I get pissed. When I see la Plaza Independencia two times I getreal pissed.
"Bro, what are we doing?"
"I don't know where the City is"
"$%^# that, it's one of the most popular clubs in Montevideo and you're a cab driver."

You give most of these guys some obscure corner on the other side of time and they get you there with frightening speed, like they'velived in Montevideo their whole lives or something. Oh wait, they have. But this guy doesn't know where La City is? Naw.

My cab mates, a Mexican girl and a Spanish girl, try to bargain with the guy. He's not having it. I pay him real slowly, letting him know exactly what I think. Of course, we also don't exactly know wherewe are going, sweet. Luckily we were close and find the place without too many problems.
Upon entering the City(this is the boliche I wrote about earlier if anyone recalls) I'm as confused as ever aboutwhy this place has such a good reputation. The other Boliche's I have been to have all sorts of cool screensand lights and shiny objects. The City, not so much, its pretty much a couple of dance floors and bars with asmoke machine and seizure inducing lights.


On the subject of the game yesterday. Another start for me and I played a part in our first goal again. I lasted about 60 minutes but after we went down to 10 men I couldn't keep up. There was an improvement thoughso I'm happy about that. I also had my face spit on for the first time in a soccer game which I guess is a milestone.

3 comments:

Michael Malenfant said...

Wait, you got your face spit on? Throw your weight around doggy. If you´ve learned anything about Uruguyan soccer it´s that you kick him in the chest immediately after that, and I think Gustavo backs me up on that point.
Also, fix your space bar.
I have read the best way to take care of a taxi driver is to say: ¨Let´s see what a cop thinks about that,¨ they usually just settle with you. But then again, 6 bucks? Reee barato bo.

Erejota said...

yeah, again, I wasn't that worried about it when its only 2 bucks a person. And yeah, I was a bit incredulous at first. I wasn't sure it happened but when I came off the pitch my teammates confirmed it, don't know how they saw it and the ref didn't. I just laughed in the kids face though, in hindsight I punched someone in the eye earlier though and it may have been him. Their 5'9 170 pound team meatstick was too busy trying to intimidate me for me to worry about the 5'7 140 pound cross country runner that was holding a vendetta.

Anonymous said...

Don't ever use your hands again plz...kthnx